from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Pathology Having less than normal tone or tension, as of muscles or arteries.
- adj. Chemistry Having the lower osmotic pressure of two fluids.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having a lower osmotic pressure than another.
- adj. Showing less than normal tension in the muscles or muscle tissue.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Less than isotonic; specifically, noting a solution of salt when it contains a smaller amount than a second solution with which it is compared: applied in this sense to the blood-serum. Also hypisotonic.
- Reducing tension or tone in a part or in the body in general.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of a solution) having a lower osmotic pressure than a comparison solution
- adj. (of living tissue) lacking normal tone or tension
From hypo- + tonic. (Wiktionary)