from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument using the atmospheric pressure as measured by the change in the boiling point of water to determine land elevations.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An instrument that measures altitude indirectly by measuring the boiling point of water (which varies with atmospheric pressure).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for measuring heights by observation of barometric pressure; esp., one for determining heights by ascertaining the boiling point of water. It consists of a vessel for water, with a lamp for heating it, and an inclosed thermometer for showing the temperature of ebullition.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A thermometrical barometer for measuring altitudes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an altimeter that uses the boiling point of water to determine land elevation
hypso- + -meter (Wiktionary)