American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The measurement of elevation relative to sea level.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The art of measuring the heights of places upon the surface of the earth, either by leveling, by the barometer, by the thermometer, by trigonometrical observations, or otherwise.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. That branch of the science of geodesy which has to do with the measurement of heights, either absolutely with reference to the sea level, or relatively.
- n. measurement of the elevation of land above sea level
- hypsometer + -y (Wiktionary)
“This form of measurement is called hypsometry from the Greek hypsos, "height" and metria”
“Oh, wisdom of man and the apparatus of the sciences, the little columns of mercury that sling up and down, the vacuum boxes that expand and contract, the hammer that chips the highest rocks, the compass that takes the bearings of glacier and ridge -- all the equipage of hypsometry and geology and geodesy -- how pitifully feeble and childish it seems to cope with the majesty of the mountains!”
“I do not know that accurate levels have been taken in the valley of the Jordan above the Lake of Tiberias, and our information is very vague as to the hypsometry of the northern part of the Wadi-el-Araba.”
“We collaboration with tap dancer mana hashimoto has been unique? theres a composite natural order out there why the hell are u hypsometry yourself against the sod next to they or underneath she.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hypsometry’.
Words I've come across & want to remember.
My fancies, my cudgels.
Looking for tweets for hypsometry.