from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument for determining elevation, especially an aneroid barometer used in aircraft that senses pressure changes accompanying changes in altitude.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An apparatus for measuring altitude.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for taking altitudes, as a quadrant, sextant, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument for measuring altitudes, as a quadrant, sextant, or theodolite.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an instrument that measures the height above ground; used in navigation
Latin altus, high.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Coined based on Latin altus ("high") + meter. (Wiktionary)