from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument used to measure the rotation of the plane of polarization of polarized light passing through an optical structure or sample.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An instrument used to measure the rotation of the plane of polarized light as it passes through a sample of an optically active compound.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for determining the amount of polarization of light, or the proportion of polarized light, in a partially polarized ray.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A polariscope; more specifically, an instrument for measuring the amount of polarized light in the light received from a given source, or for measuring the angular rotation of the plane of polarization. See photo-pola-rimeter, polaristrobometer, and saccharimeter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an optical device used to measure the rotation of the plane of vibration of polarized light
polari- + -meter (Wiktionary)