from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n.pl. People claiming to be unusually enlightened with regard to a subject.
- n.pl. Any of various groups claiming special religious enlightenment.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n.pl. Literally, those who are enlightened.
- n.pl. Persons in the early church who had received baptism; in which ceremony a lighted taper was given them, as a symbol of the spiritual illumination they has received by that sacrament.
- n.pl. Members of a sect which sprung up in Spain about the year 1575. Their principal doctrine was, that, by means of prayer, they had attained to so perfect a state as to have no need of ordinances, sacraments, good works, etc.; -- called also Alumbrados, Perfectibilists, etc.
- n.pl. Members of certain associations in Modern Europe, who combined to promote social reforms, by which they expected to raise men and society to perfection, esp. of one originated in 1776 by Adam Weishaupt, professor of canon law at Ingolstadt, which spread rapidly for a time, but ceased after a few years.
- n.pl. An obscure sect of French Familists
- n.pl. The Hesychasts, Mystics, and Quietists
- n.pl. The Rosicrucians.
- n.pl. Any persons who profess special spiritual or intellectual enlightenment.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Eccles., persons who had received baptism, in which ceremony a lighted taper was given to them as a symbol of spiritual enlightenment.
- [capitalized] A name given to different religious societies or sects because of their claim to perfection or enlightenment in religious matters.
- [capitalized] See Order of the Illuminati, below.
- In general, persons who affect to possess extraordinary knowledge or gifts, whether justly or not; persons who lay claim to superior knowledge in any department: often used satirically.
By the way, that symbol in the picture, that reads "illuminati" - wiki it.
We've heard about some group called the illuminati which is purported to be behind the genocidal nation.
Li’s Superiors, a group known as the illuminati were the sole sponsors of the tournament.
The hypocrisy, double-speak and pretentiousness among the so-called illuminati is astounding.
Can you give a list of rappers that are/have been accused of being a form of "illuminati" ..
You must admit, most kids (more specificly here) blindly use the term "illuminati" without knowing what the fcking word even means.
The organization called the "illuminati" will be invoking a ceremony called: THE DARK MOTHER.
I agree with a lot of what you say, but is it really necessary to throw the whole "illuminati" stuff in there?
Refined through the centuries, secret societies evolved for the purposes of training, recruitment, to be utilized as proving grounds, meanwhile expanding the influence and power of the capstone groups such as illuminati, Jesuits, High Masons, Builderbergs, Committee of 300,
COMEON!!!!! you poor screwed up right wing paranoid wankers - your mother walks in the door with three pointed earings and you open up on her with the good ol 'assult weapon - she would obviously be' illuminati '.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.