American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An inn or hostel for pilgrims in Turkey.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of hospice or hostelry for the free accommodation of Mohammedan pilgrims and other travelers in the Turkish empire.
- n. An Ottoman soup kitchen built between the fourteenth and nineteenth centuries, often part of a larger complex or waqf.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A lodging house for Mohammedan pilgrims.
- n. a hostel for pilgrims in Turkey
- Turkish, from Arabic 'imāra, building, from 'amara, to build; see ʿmr1 in Semitic roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Kavala also has a beautiful "imaret" - a type of charity association built during the Ottoman period.”
“The remarkable church of this monastery still exists as a mosque, and is known as Eski imaret Mahallasse.”
“His wife, Anna Missran, is a Greek woman who played an important role in restoring the imaret, working hard to refurbish the imaret and turn the structure into a charming hotel with the support of the Egyptian government, which now owns the facility.”
“Found on the peninsula containing Kavala's old city, "[T.e imaret] was used both for charitable acts and later also as a possible base for supporting troops passing through," said Michael Lychounas, Kavala's archeologist and head of the Institute Mohamed Ali for the Research of Eastern T.adition, or I.M.A.R.E.T. After being used for welfare - and education-educated activities, Kavala's imaret gradually fell into disrepair.”
“More than that, Lychounas said, "It is a new conception of a hotel; the imaret has not renounced its cultural soul as it was saved from ruin.”
“I couldn't bear the idea of the imaret being destroyed.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘imaret’.
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
Hotels, inns, and the like.
Looking for tweets for imaret.