from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An apparatus in which environmental conditions, such as temperature and humidity, can be controlled, often used for growing bacterial cultures, hatching eggs artificially, or providing suitable conditions for a chemical or biological reaction.
- n. Medicine An apparatus for maintaining an infant, especially a premature infant, in an environment of controlled temperature, humidity, and oxygen concentration.
- n. A place or situation that permits or encourages the formation and development, as of new ideas: a college that was an incubator of new approaches to sociology.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any apparatus used to maintain environmental conditions suitable for a reaction.
- n. An apparatus used to maintain environmental conditions suitable for a newborn baby.
- n. An apparatus used to maintain environmental conditions suitable for the hatching of eggs.
- n. A place to maintain the culturing of bacteria at a steady temperature.
- n. A support programme for the development of entrepreneurial companies.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That which incubates, especially, an apparatus by means of which eggs are hatched by artificial heat.
- n. An apparatus containing an enclosed chamber, used for the cultivation of microörganisms or tissue cultures by maintaining a suitable temperature and atmospheric composition. Some incubators have no provision for maintaining a special atmosphere, while in others, especially for anaerobic organisms and tissue culture, the moisture level and composition of the gases are also controlled.
- n. An apparatus consisting of enclosed chamber, for maintaining prematurely born babies in a favorable environment until able to thrive under normal conditions. The temperature and level of oxygen in the atmosphere may be controlled.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which incubates, as a bird.
- n. A suitable appliance for the artificial development of germs in the cultivation of micro-organisms.
- n. Same as couveuse, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. apparatus consisting of a box designed to maintain a constant temperature by the use of a thermostat; used for chicks or premature infants
Sorry, no etymologies found.