from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An officer with general investigative powers within a civil, military, or other organization.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a senior official responsible for inspecting conformance to the standards in a civil or military organization
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a staff officer of an army, whose duties are those of inspection, and embrace everything relative to organization, recruiting, discharge, administration, accountability for money and property, instruction, police, and discipline.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An officer charged with the oversight of some system of inspection, as that of an army, a class of public works or of machinery, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a military officer responsible for investigations
Sorry, no etymologies found.