from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A device, such as a respirator or inhaler, by which a gas, vapor, or air is drawn in.
- n. One who inspires or motivates others.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An inspirer, one that inspires
- n. An inhaler, one that inhales
- n. A kind of injector for forcing water by steam.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of injector for forcing water by steam. See injector, n., 2.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In a steam-engine, a double injector, or two combined injectors coöperating, the one raising the water from the pump-chambers or reservoirs and delivering it to the other, which forces it into the boiler.
- n. An apparatus for inhaling or drawing in air, gas, or vapor.
Latin īnspīrāre, to breathe into; see inspire + -ator.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Late Latin, from inspirare 'to inspire' (from in- + spirare 'to breathe') + -tor (Wiktionary)