from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of intercepting or the state of being intercepted.
- n. Something, such as a missile, an aircraft, or a radio transmission, that is intercepted.
- n. Sports A pass that is intercepted, especially a forward pass in football.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An act of intercepting something, the state of being intercepted, or a thing that is intercepted.
- n. A passing play where the ball is received by the opposing team.
- n. a pass that is intercepted by an opposing player.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of intercepting
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of intercepting; a stopping or cutting off; obstruction; hindrance.
- n. Intrusion; intervention.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (American football) the act of catching a football by a player on the opposing team
- n. the act of intercepting; preventing something from proceeding or arriving
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The continued growth of Mr. Sanchez, who has thrown for eight touchdowns without an interception, is an important factor.
Or must the accused know that her interception is unreasonable in order to be convicted?
An interception is no longer a death sentence, because Cutler expects to win.
The Cardinals did not get an interception from a starting corner until Game 12.
'' Coming off a rest like that, you've got to take advantage of it, '' said McNair, whose four-game streak without an interception is the longest of his career.
And even if the interception is made here in the U.S.,
Moreover, the FISA Court could not possibly review the surveillance for, e.g., the "particularity" that the Fourth Amendment requires, because the FISA Court would be tasked not with determining whether any particular interception is constutitional, but somehow with making "wholesale" determinations that the program writ large is "consistent with" the Constitution.
Now, ballistic missile interception is infinitely harder than most people presume.
Williams '3-yard touchdown was set up by a Derek Clenin interception and 26-yard return to the Miner 9 with 1: 16 left.
Fisher and company did a great job calling the first drive, having the Jags on their heels, until McNair throws in interception and we retreat into our shells.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.