Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To insert between the fingers; interweave like the joined fingers of the two hands.
- To be interwoven; commingle like interlocked fingers.
- In anatomy, specifically, to interpose finger-like processes or digitations between similar processes of another part, as one muscle may do to another; inosculate by means of reciprocal serrations: followed by with. Thus, the human serratus magnus muscle interdigitates by several of its serrations with similar processes of the external oblique muscle of the abdomen.
- v. transitive To fold or lock together, as when the fingers of one hand are laced between those of the other.
- v. intransitive To become folded or locked together, like the fingers of a folded hand.
- v. transitive, figuratively To intermingle; to present alternately items from one group and then another.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. rare To interweave.
- v. To interlock, as the fingers of two hands that are joined; to be interwoven; to commingle.
- inter- + digitate (Wiktionary)
“Words are slaves, noetic myrmidons laboring to interdigitate bolides of inspiration with cosmeticized complacence.”
“And I do hope that other people leave comments so that mine can interdigitate with them.”
“In a macerated foot the sensitive laminæ of the corium interdigitate with the horny laminæ of the hoof; that is to say, there is no union between the two, for the simple reason that it has been destroyed; they simply interlock like the _unglued_ junction of”
“Variations occur in the extension over the face and over the clavicle and shoulder; it may be absent or interdigitate with the muscle of the opposite side in front of the neck; attachment to clavicle, mastoid process or occipital bone occurs.”
“The lower four slips interdigitate at their origins with the upper five slips of the Obliquus externus abdominis.”
“Its members interdigitate with their next neighbors in manifold directions, and there are no clean cuts between them anywhere.”
“In his view, "Science and religion do not glower at each other … [but] interdigitate in patterns of complex fingering, and at every fractal scale of self-similarity.”
“These cells interdigitate loosely with eachother and are in direct contact with the articular cavity in the absence of a basal membrane.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘interdigitate’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Words that relate to the teeth, mouth or dentistry in general.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
bumwank, calamity, recalcitrant, gayenese, jeeze, nonsense, flabbergasted, juxtapose, procrastinating, ossanity, biffing, loser and 1972 more...
cool mint antiseptic
Looking for tweets for interdigitate.