American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A strenuous dance performed to quick-tempo swing or jazz music and consisting of various two-step patterns embellished with twirls and sometimes acrobatic maneuvers.
- n. One who performs this dance.
- v. To perform this dance.
- n. A nervous or jittery person.
- n. A jazz musician or aficionado.
- n. An uptempo jazz or swing dance which embellishes on the two-step pattern and frequently incorporates acrobatic style swing steps.
- v. To dance the jitterbug.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a fast and vigorous American dance that was popular in the 1940s, having few standardized steps and personalized with various twirls, twists, and acrobatic moves; it was performed often to the accompaniment of swing or boogie-woogie tunes.
- v. to do the jitterbug.
- n. a jerky American dance that was popular in the 1940s
- v. do the jitterbug
- From jitter + bug, after the 1934 Cab Calloway song Jitter Bug. (Wiktionary)
- From jitterbug, heavy drinker who suffers from the jitters, from jitter. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Yes | No | Report from peter wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago try fishing near docks and structures. the jitterbug is a great bass lure especially at dusk and the trout magnet workes great for bass as well as trout, and carpie”
“With the jitterbug is a slow steady retrieve the best or is it best to pop it across the top?”
“When it crossed over to white audiences, swing's dances were all lumped together by the media under the name "jitterbug".”
“Yes | No | Report from jmcctheboss23 wrote 33 weeks 6 days ago jitterbug is my all time favorite lure and as far as bait goes id have to say leeches”
“The Arbogast black jitterbug is my favorite lure of all time.”
“The best way to work a jitterbug is to tie one to 12 -14 test mono so you get a good float then slow reel till you hear the gurgle of the side spoons.”
“Yes | No | Report from jmcctheboss23 wrote 45 weeks 5 days ago jitterbug is byfar my favorite lure of all time i have caught so many fish on this lure it isn't even funny”
“The jitterbug is a cell phone that is geared for the older person.”
“jitterbug" type of back who is as elusive as any runner in the country.”
“Fortunately, Abner Golightly chose this opportunity to pull me into a lively dance he called the “Tennessee Tornado,” which was a cross between the jitterbug and the watusi.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘jitterbug’.
With bows of great respect to Connie Willis, author of "Bellwether" and other wonderful books.
A list generated by Phrontistery
which I wanted to have along with my own lists on Wordnik
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
The Moves. Do~do~ditty!
Interesting gene names. Some of these may have changed recently (to something less offensive/funny).
tinman, agnostic, dreadlocks, Van Gogh, fruitless, lava lamp, ariadne, cheap date, ken and barbie, I'm not dead yet, I'm not dead yet 2, manic fringe and 1192 more...
Names of popular or once dances.
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
Words that are fun to say....
I was tragically born with an extra left foot. If I weren't so debilitated, this would be my to-do list.
Words as I learn them.
List of words and phrases that contain the word jitter.
Looking for tweets for jitterbug.