from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The characterization of the chromosomal complement of an individual or a species, including number, form, and size of the chromosomes.
- n. A photomicrograph of chromosomes arranged according to a standard classification.
- transitive v. To classify and array (the chromosome complement of an organism or a species) according to the arrangement, number, size, shape, or other characteristics of the chromosomes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The observed characteristics (number, type, shape etc) of the chromosomes of an individual or species.
- n. A record of such characteristics, usually photographic.
- n. (genetics) A group of individuals or species that have the same chromosomal characteristics.
- v. To investigate or record such characteristics
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the appearance of the chromosomal makeup of a somatic cell in an individual or species (including the number and arrangement and size and structure of the chromosomes)
From Russian кариотип, corresponding to karyo- + -type. (Wiktionary)