from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A system of basic body positioning and movement exercises, as in karate or judo.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sequence of positions and movements used in the practice of many martial arts.
- n. Abbreviation of kata thermometer.
- n. A drop (in temperature).
- adv. In a direction analogous to down, but along the additional axis added by the fourth dimension.
Japanese, style, traditional form.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Japanese 型 ("pattern, model"). In English use since the 1950s. (Wiktionary)
From Ancient Greek κατά ("downwards"). Compare cata-. (Wiktionary)