from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A slot for a key in the hub or shaft of a wheel.
- n. The keyhole of a cylinder lock.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A slot into which a precision attachment (a key) is fitted
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a channel for a key, in the hole of a piece which is keyed to a shaft; an internal key seat; -- called also key seat.
- n. See Key way, under key.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mortise made for the reception of a key; a slot in the round hole of a wheel for the reception of the key whereby the wheel is secured to the shaft.
Sorry, no etymologies found.