from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A camera for making chronophotographs.
- n. A machine for the projection of chronophotographs upon a screen for the purpose of producing the effect of an animated picture.
- n. A combined animated-picture machine and phonograph in which sounds appropriate to the scene are automatically uttered by the latter instrument. It has been superseded by recording techniques allowing the sounds to be recorded directly on the motion-picture film.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A device for taking a series of photographs of a moving object and throwing them rapidly on a screen, in the same order, so as to produce an appearance of the original motion.
- n. A device for taking a series of photographs of a moving object.
Sorry, no etymologies found.