from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A camera for making chronophotographs.
- n. A machine for the projection of chronophotographs upon a screen for the purpose of producing the effect of an animated picture.
- n. A combined animated-picture machine and phonograph in which sounds appropriate to the scene are automatically uttered by the latter instrument. It has been superseded by recording techniques allowing the sounds to be recorded directly on the motion-picture film.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A device for taking a series of photographs of a moving object and throwing them rapidly on a screen, in the same order, so as to produce an appearance of the original motion.
- n. A device for taking a series of photographs of a moving object.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
“The kinetograph will be the illustrator of daily life; not only shall we see it operating in its case, but by a system of lenses and reflectors all the figures in action which it will present in photochromo may be projected upon large white screens in our own homes.
Those who wish to see the kinetograph at work will please go within.
Next week, if it's successful, we shall produce it with scenery and effects on the kinetograph.
"Yes, and the peculiarity of the age is that while such luxuries as the phonograph and the kinetograph multiply day by day, important necessities remain unsupplied."
SUMMARY Experimental film fragment made with the Edison-Dickson-Heise experimental horizontal-feed kinetograph camera and viewer, using
SUMMARY Experimental film fragment made with the Edison-Dickson-Heise experimental horizontal-feed kinetograph camera and viewer, using 3/4-inch wide film.
Equally astute in publicity as in invention, Edison invited the two stars of a hit Broadway musical comedy to come to his Black Maria studio in New Jersey to perform their climactic stage kiss in front of his latest technological wonder, a motion picture camera he called a kinetograph.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.