from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An opaque to translucent blue, violet-blue, or greenish-blue semiprecious gemstone composed mainly of lazurite and calcite.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A deep blue stone, used in making jewelry.
- n. A deep, bright blue, like that of the stone.
- adj. Of a deep, bright blue, like that of the stone.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An albuminous mineral of a rich blue color; also called lapis. Same as lazuli, which see.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an azure blue semiprecious stone
Middle English, from Old French, from Medieval Latin lapis lazulī : Latin lapis, stone + Medieval Latin lazulī, genitive of lazulum, lapis lazuli (from Arabic lāzaward, from Persian lājward).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)