from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The process of making or declaring a person legitimate.
- n. Legitimacy.
- n. The act of establishing something as lawful; authorization.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of making legitimate.
- n. Lawful birth.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of making legal, or of giving a thing the recognition of law.
- n. The act of rendering legitimate; specifically, the investing of an illegitimate child, or one supposed to be the issue of an illegal marriage, with the rights of one born in lawful wedlock.
- n. In Germany, etc., proof of identity and of legal permission to reside in a certain place, engage in a certain occupation, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of making lawful
- n. the act of rendering a person legitimate
From Medieval Latin legitimationem, from lēgitimāre ("to legitimate"). (Wiktionary)