American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An infectious disease of domestic animals, especially cattle, swine, and dogs, caused by spirochetes of the genus Leptospira and characterized by jaundice and fever.
- n. An acute, infectious, febrile disease of both humans and animals, caused by spirochetes of the genus Leptospira.
- n. an infectious disease cause by leptospira and transmitted to humans from domestic animals; characterized by jaundice and fever
- lepto- + spirosis (Wiktionary)
- New Latin Leptospīra, genus name (lepto- + Latin spīra, coil; see spiral) + -osis. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“But the problem is that dengue fever and a disease called leptospirosis and malaria are becoming more and more prevalent in Guyana.”
“The Marine Mammal Center is studying the disease _ called leptospirosis _ which afflicts a large number of California's sea lions every four or five years.”
“An inquest heard she had contracted Weil's disease, a severe form of leptospirosis, which is caused by bacteria found in the urine of wild animals.”
“In particular, rats and mice are carriers of diseases such as leptospirosis, amoebiasis, certain forms of typhus and, through their parasites, they can spread plague.”
“There is also a high chance of other diseases such as dengue, typhoid and leptospirosis which is likely to develop two weeks after the flood," he said.”
“Update: 1: 26PM The Health Ministry has warned members of the public to be wary of diseases such as leptospirosis, scabies, diarrhoea, typhoid and scabies.”
“More nurses sought vs leptospirosis problem. 5000 nurses fan out as wellness warriors Philippi … Computer literacy empowers.”
“One danger she worried about was leptospirosis, a waterborne bacterial disease.”
“At the Olympic Games in Los Angeles in 1984, the rower Andy Holmes, who has died of leptospirosis (also known as Weil's disease) aged 51, was part of the coxed four whose victory redefined British rowing.”
“Weil's disease – also known as leptospirosis – is a rare bacterial disease that can be contracted by contact with water which contains the urine of infected animals.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘leptospirosis’.
I have a list for words learned from Newsweek; here's where I keep all the stuff from other shit I read.
Except when I'm looking stuff up and find new words that way. Those go on their...
A list for terms and phrases that I haven't (yet) entered into themed lists, including my series of various 151-word Random Palavery lists. Constructions that catch my eye, ring in my ears, tease m...
A general list of words that I’ve learned during my self-study times.
A complement to the "Defunct professions" list.
hatter's shakes, woolsorter's disease, goldsmelter's cat..., dustman's shoulder, painter's colic, lighterman's bottom, chimney sweep's c..., phossy-jaw, dialpainter's dis..., caisson disease, x-ray dermatitis, karoshi and 36 more...
Looking for tweets for leptospirosis.