from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A lipid.
- n. Any of various substances, such as lecithin, that resemble fat.
- adj. Resembling fat; fatty.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. pertaining to fat
- n. A lipid or other substance resembling fat
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the appearance of fat.
- n. The fat of the nerve-cells. It consists chiefly of cholesterol and lecithin.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an oily organic compound insoluble in water but soluble in organic solvents; essential structural component of living cells (along with proteins and carbohydrates)
Formed from Greek λίπος ‘fat’. (Wiktionary)