from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A way of marching in which the marchers follow each other as closely as possible.
- n. A standardized procedure that is closely, often mindlessly followed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A step whereby the toe of one man is brought very close to the heel of the man in front.
- n. Close connection, unison, rigid synchronization.
- n. An inflexible, rigid or stifling pattern.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a standard procedure that is followed mindlessly
- n. a manner of marching in file in which each person's leg moves with and behind the corresponding leg of the person ahead
From lock + step. (Wiktionary)