from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various plants of the genus Lysimachia, having usually yellow flowers.
- n. Any of various plants of the genus Lythrum, having purple or white flowers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. any of several flowering plants of two different genera, Lythrum (purple loosestrife) or Lysimachia (yellow loosestrife)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The name of several species of plants of the genus Lysimachia, having small star-shaped flowers, usually of a yellow color.
- n. Any species of the genus Lythrum, having purple, or, in some species, crimson flowers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, the English popular name of several species of plants, chiefly of the genera Lysimachia and Lythrum.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous herbs and subshrubs of the genus Lythrum
- n. any of various herbs and subshrubs of the genus Lysimachia
Mistranslation of Latin lȳsimachīa (as if from Greek lusis, loosening + Greek makhē, battle), from Greek lūsimakheios, perhaps after Lūsimakhos, Lysimachos, Greek physician of the fifth or fourth century B.C.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)