American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An elaborate Hawaiian feast featuring traditional foods and entertainment.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the Hawaiian Islands, a dish or dinner of boiled herbs with additions.
- n. An elaborate Hawaiian feast featuring traditional foods and entertainment named for the kalo (taro) tops traditionally served at such events.
- n. an elaborate Hawaiian feast or party (especially one accompanied by traditional foods and entertainment)
- Hawaiian lūʻau. Attested 1856 in the Pacific Commercial Advertiser. (Wiktionary)
- Hawaiian lū'au, young taro tops, feast (at which taro tops are served). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Of course, a luau is about more than just food - there's the entertainment.”
“The figure enters the building and the several scientists are clad in Hawaiian luau apparel, getting ready for the end of the season party.”
“The food was cooked in Polynesian style, by being wrapped up in greens called luau, and baked underground.”
“The luau is the largest fundraiser event for the Hui-O-Hawaii club, which has more than 300 members.”
“Attending a luau is another way to learn, but all luaus are not equally created.”
“My favorite part of the luau was the show itself and all of the dancing," says Kila.”
“A luau is a Hawaiian assembly of derivation and friends to enjoy lofty food, company and times.”
“We start by sharing our family story since guests always ask how the words 'luau' and 'Smith' came together," said Smith.”
“Of the remaining "luau" trappings, I run a bit conservative.”
“He said the store kicked things off Wednesday with a "luau" theme of store giveaways and special sales.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘luau’.
The triggerfish humuhumunukunukuapuaa belongs on this list too.
A list of My Little Pony names from the G3 collection. 2003-present
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
A selection of English* words ending with a vowel (except "y", "ea", ie", "ee", "oo", "ea", "ou") that is REALLY pronounced.
My favorite English words, by the way.
The good twin of The ...
Interesting words from communications between me and boychild from October to December 2008.
Scrabble List: vowel dumps
I'm giving my daughter 10 cents for each new word she learns how to spell - here is a sampling.
Looking for tweets for luau.