from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A lunula.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Anything crescent-shaped; a crescent-shaped part or mark; a lunula or lune.
- n. A special area in front of the beak of many bivalve shells, sometimes shaped like a double crescent, but more often heart-shaped.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Anything crescent-shaped; a crescent-shaped part or mark; a lunula; a lune.
- n. A lune. See Lune.
- n. A small or narrow crescent.
- n. A special area in front of the beak of many bivalve shells. It sometimes has the shape of a double crescent, but is oftener heart-shaped. See Illust. of Bivalve.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Something in the shape of a little moon or crescent.
- n. One of the perforations formed by the union of digitate processes of the test of certain thin forms of echinoids, as Rotula Augusti.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the crescent-shaped area at the base of the human fingernail
Frontal lunule: Diptera; an oval or crescentic space above the base of antennae in Cyclorrhapha, bounded by the frontal suture.
Frontal fissure: Diptera; the impressed line extending from the frontal lunule to the border of the mouth.
Frontal suture: Diptera; separates the frontal lunule from that part of the head above it: in Coleopteran; = clypeal suture.
Shell solid, surface marked by numerous concentric lines of growth, obliquely cordate; posterior margin produced; anterior short; umbones recurved, lunule cordate; pallial line sinuated; margin crenulated.
-- (Fig. 222.) Shell smooth, moderately inflated, thick, beaks prominent, lorsal margin depressed; anterior margin rounded, lunule anceolate.
[VENUS CRIBRARI] Shell thick, medium size, slightly ventricose, furnished upon the outside by about twenty-five sharp lamelliform concentric and recurved ribs, crenulated upon the umbonal side; ribbed or ridged transversely on the ventral side, the ridges extending across to the adjacent rib; lunule crenulated.
[CRASSATELLA GIBBESH] "Shell somewhat triangular, thick, concentrically furrowed; buccal side rounded; anal side somewhat beaked, angular, with a longitudinal ridge; umbones incurved; lunule somewhat excavated."
Shell small, thick, compressed, smooth or concentrically furrowed; lunule impressed; ligament external; hinge teeth 2 -- 2; anterior tooth in the right valve large and thick.
In rare cases, different DIMSUFs yield diverse meanings: lune ` moon '> lunettes ` pair of spectacles' but also > lunule ` lunula, 'the white area at the base of the fingernail being crescent-shaped.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.