from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small crescent-shaped structure or marking, especially the white area at the base of a fingernail that resembles a half-moon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Something shaped like a crescent or half-moon; especially the pale area at the base of the fingernail.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as lunule.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Something which is shaped like a little moon or narrow crescent; a lunule or lunulet.
- n. Specifically— The free crescentic edge and adjoining thin part of a semilunar valve of the heart.
- n. The small white semilunar mark at the base of the human fingernails.
- n. A crescentic impression on some bivalve shells; a lunule.
- n. A small semicircular or crescentic spot of color; a lunulet.
- n. [capitalized] A generic name given by Hitchcock to ichnolites of uncertain character.
- n. In mathematics, a lune.
- n. In entomology, a small depression on the frons of a dipterous insect.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a crescent-shaped metal ornament of the Bronze Age
- n. the crescent-shaped area at the base of the human fingernail
New Latin lūnula, from Latin, crescent-shaped ornament, diminutive of lūna, moon; see leuk- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)