from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The mineral form of black iron oxide, Fe3O4, that often occurs with magnesium, zinc, and manganese and is an important ore of iron.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A magnetic mineral, Fe3O4, one of the primary ores of iron. It has also been called lodestone.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An oxide of iron (Fe3O4) occurring in isometric crystals, also massive, of a black color and metallic luster. It is readily attracted by a magnet and sometimes possesses polarity, being then called loadstone. It is an important iron ore. Called also magnetic iron.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Magnetic oxid of iron; a black oxid of iron (Fe3O4 or FeO.Fe2O3) which is strongly attractable by a magnet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an oxide of iron that is strongly attracted by magnets
Sorry, no etymologies found.