American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A large, wild Himalayan goat (Capra falconeri) having a reddish-brown coat, spirally curved horns, and a long mane in the male.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An Asiatic variety of wild goat, closely related to the common domestic goat, but having long, massive, spirally twisted horns; Capra falconeri, also called C. megaceros and C. jerdoni.
- n. Four subspecies are recognized, the extremes being represented by the Astor and the Suliman markhor. In the first, named from the village of Astor in northwestern Kashmir, the horns are long, massive, and form an open spiral. In the Suliman variety, found in the Suliman range, the horns are comparatively short and straight, with the keel running around them like the thread of a screw.
- n. A large wild goat antelope, Capra falconeri, found in the western Himalayas.
- n. large Himalayan goat with large spiraled horns
- Persian mārkhōr : mār, snake (from Avestan mairiia-, treacherous) + -khōr, eater (from Old Iranian *-khvāra). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“In Pakistan's northern uplands, it is not uncommon to find hybrids between domestic goats and the mountain goat known as "markhor" (Capra falconeri).”
“The degradation of the substantial vegetative covering has caused migration to markhor and wild goat that has disturbed the food chain for the elusive snow leopard forcing him to migrate to some other habitats.”
“The juniper forest of north central Baluchistan is believed to be the most extensive remaining in the world and is home to the distinctive and highly threatened Baluchistan bear and straight-horned markhor.”
“The Indus River dolphin, the Baluchistan bear, the Suleiman markhor, Hotson's long-tailed hamster, and the Central Asian cobra are classified as endangered.”
“They include markhor (Capra falconeri), ibex (Capra ibex), and urial (Ovis orientalis).”
“The Suleiman markhor, Afghan urial, and Ladahk urial are listed as endangered, and the Chiltan wild goat is indicated as critically endangered on IUCN's Red List of threatened animals database.”
“The flare horned markhor, sarmantier (Vormela peregusna), hyena, wolf, and leopard are also threatened in this ecoregion.”
“Trophy hunting for markhor, ibex, snow leopard, and game birds (such as falcons) is prevalent in this ecoregion and has decimated their populations.”
“In the 1950s the population of Chiltan markhor used to exceed 1,200.”
“These temperate coniferous forests of western Pakistan and northeastern Afghanistan support a variety of avifauna and harbor the largest remaining populations of Chiltan markhor (Capra falconeri chiltanensis).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘markhor’.
sheep and more sheep and some
slang for sheep,films that feature sheep ,have you heard of sheeple?
Words to quiz the intermediate and advanced speller alike
Animals and birds of nations and states. Also see Stately Plants
Looking for tweets for markhor.