from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large, wild Himalayan goat (Capra falconeri) having a reddish-brown coat, spirally curved horns, and a long mane in the male.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large wild goat antelope, Capra falconeri, found in the western Himalayas.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An Asiatic variety of wild goat, closely related to the common domestic goat, but having long, massive, spirally twisted horns; Capra falconeri, also called C. megaceros and C. jerdoni.
- n. Four subspecies are recognized, the extremes being represented by the Astor and the Suliman markhor. In the first, named from the village of Astor in northwestern Kashmir, the horns are long, massive, and form an open spiral. In the Suliman variety, found in the Suliman range, the horns are comparatively short and straight, with the keel running around them like the thread of a screw.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large Himalayan goat with large spiraled horns
Persian mārkhōr : mār, snake (from Avestan mairiia-, treacherous) + -khōr, eater (from Old Iranian *-khvāra).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)