from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A short slender piece of wood from which a match is made.
- n. Something similar to a matchstick, as in slenderness or strength.
- adj. Short, narrow, and slender: matchstick arms; matchstick slices of potato.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small, slender piece of wood or cardboard serving as a component of a match.
- n. Any similarly small and thin pieces; frequently used in the plural.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a short thin stick of wood used in making matches
From match + stick. (Wiktionary)