from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various songbirds of the genus Sturnella of North America, especially S. magna, the eastern meadowlark, and S. neglecta, the western meadowlark, having brownish plumage, a yellow breast, and a black crescent-shaped marking beneath the throat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several songbirds, of the genus Sturnella, native to North America
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any species of Sturnella, a genus of North American songbirds allied to the starlings. The common species (Sturnella magna) has a yellow breast with a black crescent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A well-known bird of the family Icteridæ, or American starlings; the field-lark, Sturnella magna.
- n. The meadow-pipit, Anthus pratensis.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. North American songbirds having a yellow breast
meadow + lark (Wiktionary)