from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small, olive-gray North American flycatchers of the genus Contopus, especially a wood pewee.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Common American tyrant flycatchers (of the genus Contopus).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A common American tyrant flycatcher (Sayornis phœbe, or Sayornis fuscus). Called also pewit, and phœbe.
- n. The woodcock.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small olivaceous flycatcher of the family Tyrannidæ and genus Contopus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small olive-colored woodland flycatchers of eastern North America
Imitative of its call.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)