from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A funnel-shaped device used to direct and amplify the voice.
- transitive v. To transmit (a message) or speak through or as if through a funnel-shaped voice amplification device.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A portable, usually hand-held, funnel-shaped device that is used to amplify a person’s natural voice toward a targeted direction.
- v. To use a megaphone.
- n. a cytotoxic neolignan obtained from the laurel aniba megaphylla
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A device to magnify sound, or direct it in a given direction in a greater volume, as a very large funnel used as an ear trumpet or as a speaking trumpet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument devised by Edison for assisting hearing, adapted for use by deaf persons or for the perception of ordinary sounds at great distances.
- n. A large speaking-trumpet of a conical form.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a cone-shaped acoustic device held to the mouth to intensify and direct the human voice
From mega- + phone. (Wiktionary)