from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A substance produced by metabolism.
- n. A substance necessary for or taking part in a particular metabolic process.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any substance produced by, or taking part in, a metabolic reaction.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A product of metabolism; a substance produced by metabolic action, as urea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A product of or substance resulting from metabolism, especially from retrograde metabolism, or catabolism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any substance involved in metabolism (either as a product of metabolism or as necessary for metabolism)
metabol(ism) + -ite1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From metabolism + -ite. (Wiktionary)