from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A naturally occurring mixture of an oil and a resin extracted from various plants, such as pine or balsam fir.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A homogeneous mix of oil and resin.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A natural mixture of a terebinthinate oil and a resin.
- n. A liquid or semiliquid preparation extracted (as from capsicum, cubebs, or ginger) by means of ether, and consisting of fixed or volatile oil holding resin in solution.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A natural mixture of an essential oil and a resin, forming the vegetable balsams.
- n. In pharmacy, a fixed or volatile oil holding resin and sometimes other active matter in solution, obtained from ether tinctures by evaporation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a naturally occurring mixture of a resin and an essential oil; obtained from certain plants
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Bear spray contains a chemical substance called oleoresin capsicum which is extracted from pepper or chilli.
Basu is attempting to clone genes from a tropical tree that possesses a compound known as oleoresin, with properties similar to diesel fuel.
The term natural flavor or natural flavoring means the essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate, distillate, or any product of rasting, heating or enzymolysis... whose significant function in food is flavoring rather than nutritional.
Another note that stands out is that of labdanum, a resinous, ambery oleoresin from the rockrose bushes also grown on the Mediterranean mountains and hillsides and a pulsating undercurrent of costus, with its musky goat-like horns that is perhaps the reason why Pan jumps into the picture.
They pointed out that the forest consisted of non-coniferous broadleaf evergreens which, unlike pines, contained low levels of oleoresin.
At the same time the first medicines advised are stopped and oleoresin of cubebs, five grains, or copaiba balsam, ten grains -- or both together -- are to be taken three times daily after meals, in capsules, for several weeks, unless they disturb the digestion too much.
A liability to the formation of gall stones may be remedied by giving one grain of the oleoresin (iridin) every night for twelve nights.
Two hours after breakfast next morning give one-half dram of the oleoresin of male-fern in emulsion or capsule.
Pepper spray's main active ingredient is oleoresin capsicum (OC) -- oil extracted from a genus of peppers known as capsicum (the same kinds of peppers used in salsa, spices, and even some analgesics).
If someone is hit directly with a tear gas grenade or "pepperball" thin-walled spheres containing a solvent and oleoresin capsicum-pepper spray, it's like being hit with any other hard or rigid object moving at high speed.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.