from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An English nobleman or gentleman.
- n. Used as a form of address for such a man.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a form of address for a British gentleman
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Lit., my lord; hence (as used on the Continent), an English nobleman or gentleman.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A continental rendering of the English my lord.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a term of address for an English lord
French, from English my lord.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)