from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that produces, designs, or deals in women's fashions.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who makes or sells fashionable women's clothing, especially dresses or hats.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One, esp. a woman, who makes, or deals in, articles of fashion, esp. of the fashionable dress of ladies; a dress-maker or milliner.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A woman who deals in articles of fashion, particularly in women's apparel; a milliner or dressmaker.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who makes or mends dresses
- n. someone who makes and sells hats
French, from mode, fashion; see mode.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French modiste. Compare modist. (Wiktionary)