from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A lizard (Moloch horridus) of the deserts and plains of central and southern Australia, having a head and back covered with large spiny scales.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Moloch horridus, an Australian lizard thought to be the sole member of the genus Moloch.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The chief god of the Phenicians, frequently mentioned in Scripture as the god of the Ammonites, whose worship consisted chiefly of human sacrifices, ordeals by fire, mutilation, etc.: also identified with the god of the Carthaginians called by classical writers Kronos or Saturn.
- n. [NL.] The typical genus of Molochinæ.
- n. [lowercase] A lizard of this genus: as, the spiny moloch.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any lizard of the genus Moloch
- n. a tyrannical power to be propitiated by human subservience or sacrifice
- n. god of the Canaanites and Phoenicians to whom parents sacrificed their children
Late Latin Moloch, Semitic deity; see Moloch.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)