from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A card game in which two cards are chosen from four laid out face-up and a player bets that one of the two will be matched in suit by the dealer before the other one.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a game in which 3 or 4 cards are dealt face-up and players bet which of them will first be matched in suit by others dealt
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A favorite gambling game among Spaniards, played with dice or cards.
- n. In Spanish America, a wood; forest; timber land; esp., in parts of South America, a comparatively wooden region.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A tract more or less thickly covered with shrubby vegetation or scanty forests; a forest.
- n. A favorite Spanish and Spanish-American gambling-game, played with the Spanish pack of forty cards.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a gambling card game of Spanish origin; 3 or 4 cards are dealt face up and players bet that one of them will be matched before the others as the cards are dealt from the pack one at a time
Spanish, mountain, pile, monte, from Italian, from Latin mōns, mont-, mountain; see men-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)