American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An Israeli cooperative settlement consisting of small separate farms.
- n. An Israeli town or settlement: in particular, a type of cooperative agricultural community of individual farms pioneered by the Labour Zionists during the second aliyah.
- n. a cooperative Israeli village or settlement comprised of small farms
- Hebrew מוֹשָׁב (mosháv, "village", literally "settlement"). (Wiktionary)
- Modern Hebrew môšāb, from Hebrew, dwelling, from yāšab, to sit, dwell; see wṯb in Semitic roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“A moshav is a cooperative settlement, though not all-out cooperative like a kibbutz.”
“Was this not the very identity of the State of Israel in the first place—the land of the kibbutz and the moshav, of hard-won irrigation for communities in the desert?”
“Over the next few days Rachel and I visited a “moshav” a collective where each family had its own cottage and a couple of kibbutzim.”
“Kivel also worked with the sabra children in the moshav school of Tel Mond as a eurhythmics and folk dance teacher.”
“Their acclimation in these rural settlements proved difficult due to both their lack of agricultural experience and their traditional social structure which went counter to the principles of the moshav.”
“I lived on the so-called West bank in a moshav near Jericho.”
“She immigrated to Erez Israel together with her family on May 19, 1935, and settled in the moshav, Bet Hanan.”
“Shemuel, who built the farm and invested much effort in its development, preferred public activity, which caused him to be absent from home and from the moshav and frequently interrupted his involvement in daily life.”
“In 1969 a group of Young Judaeans — Garin Hamagshimim — arrived in Israel under the auspices of Hadassah and established Neve Ilan, a cooperative settlement (moshav shitufi) near Jerusalem.”
“During the waiting period before the establishment of the moshav, Shemuel embarked on public activity that would last many years, while Dayan had to cope, as she did many times, with loneliness and hardship.”
‘moshav’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for moshav.