from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the act of nitrifying
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act, process, or result of combining with nitrogen or some of its compounds.
- n. The act or process of oxidizing nitrogen or its compounds so as to form nitrous or nitric acid.
- n. A process of oxidation, in which nitrogenous vegetable and animal matter in the presence of air, moisture, and some basic substances, as lime or alkali carbonate, is converted into nitrates.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The process, induced by certain microbes, by which, the nitrogen of organic material in the soil is oxidized to nitric acid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the oxidation of ammonium compounds in dead organic material into nitrates and nitrites by soil bacteria (making nitrogen available to plants)
- n. the chemical process in which a nitro group is added to an organic compound (or substituted for another group in an organic compound)
Sorry, no etymologies found.