from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An organic cyanide containing a CN group.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. any of a class of organic compounds containing a cyano functional group -C≡N
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of a series of compounds bearing the cyanide radical (-CN); particularly, one of those cyanides of alcohol radicals which, by boiling with acids or alkalies, produce a carboxyl acid, with the elimination of the nitrogen as ammonia.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In organic chemistry, the class-name of compounds which contain the univalent radical -C: N. They are prepared by the action of alkyl haloids on potassium cyanide and, in some cases, by the dehydration of organic ammonium salts into which they are reconverted by the action of acids or alkalies. They are also called acid nitriles or alkyl cyanides. Occasionally tertiary amines (R3N) are called nitrile bases.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of a class of organic compounds containing the cyano radical -CN
Made of a synthetic material called nitrile, it is less expensive – about $2 each – and not noisy.
Made of a synthetic material called nitrile, it is less expensive - about $2 each - and not noisy.
The second-generation condom is similar in design and performance to the FC1, except that it is made of a synthetic rubber called nitrile and costs about 30\% less, the company said.
The FC2 female condom is a nitrile sheath or pouch 6.5 inches in length.
Over the years sealing applications have evolved from the traditional rubber and rubber-fabric seal constructions to a design which has a face of hard wearing thermoplastic polyester elastomer in contact with the bore, whereas the older design relies on a nitrile rubber dynamic sealing element.
The gland seal design continues to include a plastic anti-extrusion ring, but is now of a larger section to withstand the increased metal-to-metal gaps which are the result of using bearing strip, the sealing material is now a responsive hydrolysis-resistant thermoplastic polyurethane, energised by a nitrile element.
All I need is a sharp knife and a pair of nitrile gloves carried in my pocket.
I didn't touch anything else while I had the gloves off, and I washed up like crazy after, but did I make my grandpa's last contact with me come through latex or nitrile?
My hands were also fine with standard nitrile gloves.
This should consist of a small plastic tool called a Butt-out, nitrile or latex gloves, a 4 or so drop point knife, and a small hand axe.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.