from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the film noir genre.
- adj. Of or relating to a genre of crime literature featuring tough, cynical characters and bleak settings.
- adj. Suggestive of danger or violence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to film noir, or the atmosphere associated with that genre
- n. A production in the style of film noir
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Black; in roulette, the space in which are placed bets on the color of the number coming black.
Short for film noir + Sense 2, short for French roman noir, black novel.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From film noir and French noir (Wiktionary)