from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Heraldry The point on an escutcheon between the fess point and the base point; the midpoint in the lower half of the escutcheon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A point halfway between the fess point and the middle base point of an escutcheon.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A point halfway between the fess point and the middle base point of an escutcheon; -- called also navel point. See escutcheon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In heraldry, same as navel point (which see, under navel).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the center point on a shield
French, from Old French, from (u)n ombril, (a) navel, from Vulgar Latin *umbilīculus, from Latin, diminutive of umbilīcus; see nobh- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
French nombril, for Old French lombril, i. e., ombril, with the article, a diminutive from Latin umbilicus the navel. See navel. (Wiktionary)