from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The horizontally projecting edge of a stair tread.
- n. A shield covering this edge.
- n. A projecting edge of a molding.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of nose.
- n. That part of the treadboard of a stair that projects over the riser.
- n. Any similar projection, such as the projecting edge of a moulding.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That part of the treadboard of a stair which projects over the riser; hence, any like projection, as the projecting edge of a molding.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In architecture, the projecting edge of a molding or drip; the projecting molding on the edge of a step in a stair.
- n. In a lock, the keeper which engages the latch or bolt.
- n. A metal or rubber shield formed to fit the projecting edge of a tread or step of a stairway to protect it from wear.
Sorry, no etymologies found.