from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang An obtuse, boring, or bothersome person; a pest.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who is very annoying; a persistent nag.
- n. A bore; a boring person.
- n. A pest of a person; a jerk.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a pestiferous boring and dull person.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Yiddish) someone who is a boring pest
Yiddish, nudne, boring (from nudyen, to bore; see nudge2) + -nik, -nik.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
noodnik is attested since 1925, nudnik since 1929. From Yiddish נודניק (nudnik) < root of נודיען (nudyen, "to bore") + ניק (-nik, "noun-forming suffix"). Ultimately from Proto-Slavic *nuda < Proto-Indo-European *neuti- (“need”) < *nau- (“death, to be exhausted”). (Wiktionary)