from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The study or collection of money, coins, and often medals.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The study of coins (or of medals)
- n. The collecting of coins (or of medals)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science of coins and medals.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The science that treats of coins and medals, with especial reference to their history, artistic quality, description, and classification.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the collection and study of money (and coins in particular)
From French numismatique, from Late Latin numisma, numismatis ("coin"), variant of Latin nomisma, from Ancient Greek νόμισμα (nomisma, "current coin, custom"), from νομίζω (nomizō, "I hold or own as a custom, usage, I use customarily, practise, I am used to"), from νόμος (nomos, "usage, custom"), from νέμω (nemō, "I keep, hold, watch"). (Wiktionary)