American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To make as perfect or effective as possible.
- v. Computer Science To increase the computing speed and efficiency of (a program), as by rewriting instructions.
- v. To make the most of.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To hold or express the doctrines or belief of an optimist.
- To take the most hopeful view of a matter; hold or maintain hopeful views habitually.
- Also spelled optimise.
- v. originally (intransitive) To act optimistically or as an optimist.
- v. transitive To make (something) optimal.
- v. transitive To make (something) more efficient, such as a computer program.
- v. intransitive To become optimal.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To make as useful, effective, or functional as possible.
- v. To get the most out of; to use to the best effect; to exploit fully.
- v. modify to achieve maximum efficiency in storage capacity or time or cost
- v. make optimal; get the most out of; use best
- v. act as an optimist and take a sunny view of the world
- (1844) Back-formation from optimist. (Wiktionary)
“Being forced to troubleshoot & optimize is the means to the end - the better protocol.”
“Science is embedded in an enframed mindset by which the Nietzschean impulse to optimize translates into the outcomes of science, technology.”
“Social Media Optimizer was a good way to explain what spammers do when they take social media applications and game them (optimize is a kind word).”
“The default setting in both Google and Yahoo is "optimize" -- Google even goes so far as to term this the "recommended" setting.”
“One way to optimize is to update label text only when "mem/physical/free" data source is updated.”
“The best way to optimize is to find out what is taking the most time and tune it, always checking that the effect was what you intended.”
“The true and fundamental appeal of the paleo approach is that we are attempting to operate pre-neolithic, i.e., in a manner our bodies and minds evolved to optimize, which is the role of natural selection.”
“Keyword optimize content: Title tags, on-page titles, section headings, body copy, link text between pages, image alt text, navigation text and footer text.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘optimize’.
random webdev lingo used primarily in computer programming.
( open list, randomness, technical jargon, geek speak )
ajax, user, admin, frontend, backend, database, sql, protocol, call, dom, layout, ui and 439 more...
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
List of most of the words I've learned
Derivatives from Chapter 7 of Part One of English Words from Latin and Greek Elements
Looking for tweets for optimize.