from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make as perfect or effective as possible.
- transitive v. Computer Science To increase the computing speed and efficiency of (a program), as by rewriting instructions.
- transitive v. To make the most of.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. (intransitive) To act optimistically or as an optimist.
- v. To make (something) optimal.
- v. To make (something) more efficient, such as a computer program.
- v. To become optimal.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To make as useful, effective, or functional as possible.
- transitive v. To get the most out of; to use to the best effect; to exploit fully.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To hold or express the doctrines or belief of an optimist.
- To take the most hopeful view of a matter; hold or maintain hopeful views habitually.
- Also spelled optimise.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. modify to achieve maximum efficiency in storage capacity or time or cost
- v. make optimal; get the most out of; use best
- v. act as an optimist and take a sunny view of the world
So we track each asset, we manage it to what I call optimize that asset, and we'll pace the sales rate and margin to the investment for what makes us the most money and the best returns.
Being forced to troubleshoot & optimize is the means to the end - the better protocol.
Science is embedded in an enframed mindset by which the Nietzschean impulse to optimize translates into the outcomes of science, technology.
Social Media Optimizer was a good way to explain what spammers do when they take social media applications and game them (optimize is a kind word).
Again, it's both, Tony, that the way that we see the story unfolding as we move towards $2 million a store is that there's so much fixed cost in this business that if you can drive that top line, as you begin to -- I don't know that I love the word optimize, but it is a optimize the operating model.
The default setting in both Google and Yahoo is "optimize" -- Google even goes so far as to term this the "recommended" setting.
One way to optimize is to update label text only when "mem/physical/free" data source is updated.
The best way to optimize is to find out what is taking the most time and tune it, always checking that the effect was what you intended.
The true and fundamental appeal of the paleo approach is that we are attempting to operate pre-neolithic, i.e., in a manner our bodies and minds evolved to optimize, which is the role of natural selection.
Keyword optimize content: Title tags, on-page titles, section headings, body copy, link text between pages, image alt text, navigation text and footer text.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.