from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A public institution for the care and protection of children without parents.
- n. The condition of being a child without parents.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A public institution for the care and protection of orphans.
- n. Orphanhood; the state of being an orphan.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of being an orphan; orphanhood; orphans, collectively.
- n. An institution or asylum for the care of orphans.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being an orphan.
- n. An institution or home for orphans.
- n. Orphans collectively.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the condition of being a child without living parents
- n. a public institution for the care of orphans
Attested since the 1570s; orphan + -age. (Wiktionary)