from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To surpass (another) in cleverness or cunning; outsmart.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to beat in a competition of wits
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To defeat or gain an advantage over (an antagonist) by clever stratagems; to outwit; to outmaneuver; to outsmart.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. beat through cleverness and wit
- v. outdo someone in trickery
out- + fox (Wiktionary)