from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Beef tongue (a foodstuff).
- n. A flowering plant of the genus Picris, especially Picris echioides, the bristly oxtongue.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A widespread European weed (Picris echioides formerly Helminthia echioides) with spiny tongue-shaped leaves and yellow flowers. The name is applied to several plants, from the shape and roughness of their leaves; as, Anchusa officinalis, a kind of bugloss, and Helminthia echioides, both European herbs. It has been naturalized in the U. S.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The tongue of an ox.
- n. One of several plants with rough tongue-shaped leaves, especially Picris (Helminthia) echioides, and the alkanet, Anchusa officinalis. Compare bugloss.
- n. A name sometimes given to the anlace, braquemart, and similar short broadswords.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. widespread European weed with spiny tongue-shaped leaves and yellow flowers; naturalized in United States
Sorry, no etymologies found.